Artichoke White Bean Salad
Why We Love This Salad Recipe
There are of course many different types of salads… Think of everything from simple light greens to chunky mayo-based potato and macaroni salads. This vegan Artichoke White Bean Salad recipe is much healthier than most mayonnaise options, but with more fun than being “just” a bunch of greens.
Bean salads like this are a great addition to any meal. They are a hearty and filling side dish due to the fiber and protein in the beans. But combined with fresh vegetables and herbs – plus a perky dressing! – salads with beans and artichokes are even satisfying for a light main dish.
This 15-minute recipe with canned artichoke hearts is one of my favorite versions. It has a fabulous balance of flavors and it’s a colorful rustic salad you can serve at picnics, parties, and potlucks. And we love to meal-prep the salad as a chunky side dish to enjoy throughout the week!
Ingredients You Need
- White beans – drained and rinsed
- Artichoke hearts – drained and cut up into quarters
- Red bell pepper – diced
- Fresh tomatoes – diced (or cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes)
- Red onion – diced (or sub chopped scallions)
- Fresh parsley – chopped (or other fresh herbs like dill or oregano)
- Red wine vinegar – or apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- Extra virgin olive oil – or other neutral-tasting quality oil, like avocado oil
- Dijon mustard – for the most delicious tangy flavor
- Garlic – minced
- Crushed red pepper – optional for a bit of spiciness
- Salt and pepper – just a bit
How to Make White Bean and Artichoke Salad
Set out a large salad bowl and a glass jar. Chop the artichoke hearts and all the fresh produce.
In the bowl, combine the drained white beans, chopped artichokes, and diced red onion.
Then add diced bell pepper, diced tomatoes, and chopped parsley.
Get the Complete (Printable) Artichoke White Bean Salad Recipe Below. Enjoy!
In the jar, combine the red wine vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Whisk the dressing well to emulsify or screw the lid on the jar and shake vigorously.
Pour the dressing over the white bean salad.
Toss well to coat. Then taste, and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Store in and airtight container and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Here we use red bell pepper, but you can certainly use other bell pepper colors! Green, yellow, and orange peppers are all delicious.
- Swap white beans with drained and rinsed garbanzo beans, AKA chickpeas.
- Use your favorite store-bought or other vinaigrette recipes for the dressing.
- We love the spicy flavor, but feel free to omit the crushed red pepper for a more mild artichoke salad.
- Mix things up and add other goodies! Sliced green or black olives, salty capers, and/or crumbled feta cheese are just a few tasty options.
Bring this easy side dish to a picnic, potluck, or barbecue for a surefire crowd-pleaser! It fits right in with other classic spring and summer recipes, like Cold Tortellini Pasta Salad and Crunchy Bell Pepper Salad.
I love to serve as a healthy side dish with some of our favorite summertime mains… The bright and tangy flavors are delicious with grilled proteins!
Frequently Asked Questions
White bean refers to a variety of white-colored beans. These include cannellini, white navy beans, white kidney beans, and great northern beans. Use whatever type you like!
Yes, they are very healthy! Beans are lean but high in protein and fiber. They help you feel full for longer, and are all-around a super nutritious food.
Hands-down canned artichokes work best for making other dishes. Fresh artichokes are delicious, but they require a lot of prep work. So skip the unnecessary effort, pop the top off of the can, and finish up the recipe easy-peasy.
Absolutely! You can prep and store the individual components, or mix everything together a day or two in advance and have the salad ready to go.
Keep in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 or 5 days.
Looking for More Delicious Salad Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Perky English Pea Salad
- Wild Rice Salad with Blueberries and Herbs
- Italian Summer Pasta with Orange and Basil
- 15 Bean Salad
- Fresh Corn Succotash
Artichoke White Bean Salad Recipe
- 48 ounces white beans ( 3 cans) drained and rinsed
- 13 ounce can artichoke hearts drained and cut into quarters
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Set out a large salad bowl and a glass jar. Chop the artichoke hearts and all the fresh produce.
- In the bowl, combine the drained white beans, chopped artichokes, diced bell pepper, diced tomatoes, diced red onion, and chopped parsley.
- In the jar, combine the red wine vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Whisk the dressing well to emulsify or screw the lid on the jar and shake vigorously.
- Pour the dressing over the white bean salad. Toss well to coat. Then taste, and season with salt and pepper as needed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!