Roasted Beet and Radicchio Salad
Roasted Beet and Radicchio Salad – Fresh and loaded with goodness, this crunchy salad offers all the best flavors of the season, in a rainbow of diverse colors.
My family spends the summer teetering on the fence between dietary endeavors and comforting summertime favorites.
It’s a tricky balance between what we want to eat, and what we should eat.
There are plenty of times, however, that what we want to eat is what we should eat.
Those occasions consist of dishes boasting bold colors, audacious flavors, ample texture, and lots of contrast!
Roasted Beet Recipe
Roasted Beet and Radicchio Salad packs a powerful punch. It truly covers all the bases as far as your tastebuds are concerned. Bitterness from the crunchy radicchio, spicy radish and red onion slices, sweet tender beets, cool crisp mint leaves, a little acidity from the vinaigrette, and a salty bite of queso fresco. What’s not to love?
Plus Roasted Beet and Radicchio Salad is visually bright and beautiful.
Radicchio has a dynamic effect on most people. It seems to be one of those veggies you either passionately love, or avoid at all costs.
One way to reduce the bitterness a smidge is to soak the radicchio in ice-cold water before serving. If you still can’t appreciate its bitey crunch, red cabbage would be a good substitution.
Roasted Beet and Radicchio Salad would make a superb addition to any summer picnic. The texture of the radicchio allows it to sit for hours without wilting. Not to mention, the vibrant colors can hold their own against any fireworks display!
How To Make This Delicious Salad
- 4 large beets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 head radicchio (small)
- 1 red onion (small)
- 1 bunch radishes
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup crumbled queso fresco, or cotija
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Trim the beets and place them in a baking dish. Drizzle the beets with 1 tablespoon of oil. Cover and roast for 30-35 minutes, until fork tender.
Cut the head of radicchio into quarters. Remove the core and slice it into thin strips. Place the radicchio in a large bowl of ice water for 20-30 minutes to reduce the bitterness.
Slice the onion and radishes very thin. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons of oil, vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper for taste.
When the beets have cooled a bit, peel off the skin and slice them into thin wedges.
Toss the radicchio, beets, onions, radishes, and mint with the vinaigrette. Top with crumbled queso fresco cheese and serve.
See The Recipe Card Below For How To Make Roasted Beet and Radicchio Salad Recipe. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is radicchio?
This leafy vegetable is a member of the chicory family; it’s a leafy cabbage-style vegetable known for its spiciness, bitter flavor, and crunch.
How do you make radicchio less bitter?
There are two ways you can reduce the bitterness of the radicchio. The first way is to cook it, which tames the bitterness and dulls the color. The second way is to slice it thinly and then cover it in olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette, or sherry, and salt for a few minutes until it starts to mellow out.
Other A Spicy Perspective Best Recipes
- Grilled Chicken Fajita Salad
- Summer Cobb Salad
- Avocado Chicken Salad (with Corn)
- Grilled Romaine Salad with Buttermilk
- Smoked Trout Salmon with Avocado Dressing
- Fried Goat Cheese Salad
- Kale Salad with Pecorino, Strawberries, and Pine Nuts
- Waldorf Winter Salads
Check the printable recipe card below for the nutrition information including calories, carbohydrates, protein, sodium, fiber, and calcium percentages.
Roasted Beet and Radicchio Salad
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Trim the beets and place them in a baking dish. Drizzle the beets with 1 tablespoon of oil. Cover and roast for 30-35 minutes, until fork tender.
- Cut the head of radicchio into quarters. Remove the core and slice into thin strips. Place the radicchio in a bowl of ice water for 20-30 minutes to reduce the bitterness.
- Slice the onion and radishes very thin. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons of oil, vinegar, honey, garlic, salt and pepper.
- When the beets have cooled a bit, peel off the skin and slice them into thin wedges.
- Toss the radicchio, beets, onions, radishes, and mint with the vinaigrette. Top with crumbled queso fresco and serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!